The aim of the SWE support is to make all types of sensors accessible and controllable via web.
When network connections are made via Internet and Web protocols, the XML language can be used to publish the sensors’ characteristics, such as their capacities, locations and interfaces.
This information can also be used for several types of applications to geolocalize and process the data collected by the sensor without the need for previous knowledge of the sensor’s system.
At present the members of the OGC are creating specifications for the interoperability of interfaces and the codification of metadata that make possible the integration of heterogeneous webs sensor within the infrastructure of the information.
More information (+)
The specifications that have already tested by the members of the OGC are the following
- Observations & Measurements (O&M): Standard models and XML Schema for the codification of the observations and measurements carried out by a sensor, both saved and in real time.
- Sensor Model Language (SensorML) : Standard models and XML Schema for describing the systems of sensors and processes associated with the sensors’ observations; it provides the necessary information for the discovery of sensors and the locations of the observations, as well as support for on-demand processing of the sensors’ observations.
- Transducer Model Language (TransducerML or TML): The conceptual model and XML Schema for the description of transducers and support for real-time streaming of data between sensors.
- Sensor Observations Service (SOS): Standard web service interface for the consultation, filtration and recuperation of observations and information about the sensor systems. This service acts as an intermediary between the client and an obsdervation or the nearest real-time sensor channel.
- Sensor Planning Service (SPS) : Standard web service interface to consult the acquisition of user-driven and observations. This is the intermediary between a client and a sensor collection management environment.
- Sensor Alert Service (SAS): Standard web service interface for the publication and subscription of sensor alerts.
- Web Notification Services (WNS): Standard web service interface for asynchronous delivery of alert messages for SAS and SPS services and other elements of service workflows
- Other specifications are being planned.